Tuesday, November 22, 2011

At The End Of The Gravel Road

The call overwhelmed me tonight and it became too strong to resist that persistent urgings that blanketed my will power. Not even the bitter choking taste of a lit cigar would quell the cravings so it became pointless putting it off any longer. Without hesitation a JNCO Jeans black hoodie and that old Vietnam trench coat was hurriedly tossed over my backside and a pair of brown work glove slid on before disappearing through the door.
          I had only momentarily been taken aback as the gale like wind tried to steal my breath and blanket me in a moist mist from the evening November rain. One final check to make sure I had everything that would be needed. The front door key and android were in my pocket. That and the walking stick would suffice for tonight at least.
          All the neighborhood dogs greeted me as I passed; they were the only ones who seemed to notice but I new that wasn’t completely right. There was something else out there, something that remained in the shadows and glided along unseen by most. There are a great deal of legends about them but non can truly emphasize them correctly. They are as individual as a snowflake. They also like to remain unseen. But I see them and I think they are afraid now. They follow me through the shadows and try to intimidate me, but I’m tired of hiding. It is time to face them and tonight I will.
          In front of me, skeletal trees stretch their bony naked arms to the sky and pray. The creek running along the side of the road gurgles as I reach the end of the road and decide to travel a different way tonight. It is only out of the corner of my eye that another dark and in-proportionate figure darts by. I’m used to it by now and it doesn’t startle me. It seems to be headed to an long gravel road that I have, for reasons unknown, refused to travel and explore. This road has always intimidated me.
          I hear the car behind me and try to make room for it to pass but there is little room left. A large murky puddle mocks me. There is only two choices. That is to either get my feet wet or make the vehicle go around and I happily choose the later. It is too dark to see if they cared or would be shaking an angry fist my way but no obscenities were yelled so the situation seems well. At least until I notice that the car is headed for that long dreaded drive and several blurs follow back beyond the street light’s reach. For a brief moment I smell burring wood. I grew up visiting all the neighbors within this vicinity and nobody had a fire place to my knowledge, except for perhaps the house at the end of that gravel road. I had never been there. At least I don’t remember ever being there.
          The thoughts in my head are starting to muddle my perception and I must head back home to gather my thoughts. There need’s to be a plan of action and I can’t just show up at some stranger’s house all pathetic like on a rainy evening. Somehow I will need to find out what truly lies at the end of that long gravel road.

No comments:

Post a Comment