Sunday, June 19, 2011

The First Kiss

     This article was inspired by a very dear acquaintance who is running a contest on her blog sight. I'm not going to be entering it because I have never been a big fan of games. It's a downfall of mine but I still manage to have fun.  It would be a waist though to spend all this time on an essay and not do anything with it, so I figured I'd share this once.
     Do you remember your first kiss? It seems funny that there is a lot of things I have trouble remembering anymore but I still remember that first kiss. I also remember that the first time for any experience isn't always a good one. Often times they are clumsy and badly handled. Sometimes you just want to tuck it away in a dusty corner and pray no one will ever remind you of it again.
     My feelings on it have never been that extreme. Still, I hope the gentleman that I've written about never comes across this article. If he does though, I want us to laugh about it and move on like we always do.

                                                             My First Kiss

We met though a neighbor of mine. My friend Angie had dragged me several blocks away to her boyfriend’s house to hang around for the afternoon. When he walked in it was like I had just woke up from a dream. The mid day sun was streaming in through the picture window in the living room. His frame was silhouetted but caught my attention.  All he said to me was “Hi” and I thought I would never see him again after that. We weren’t even in the same grade. Then Angie informed me the next day that he wanted my phone number.
Bart had been visiting for about two weeks after meeting him. He displayed an intriguing interest in me. The way he licked his lips stirred something in my young brain. I liked it but didn’t know why. A week earlier Bart had shown me his high school picture from last year and, “Oh my, he’s come a long way since then.” The rat tail had been cut off and he now sported a short wavy hair cut. The thick framed glasses were ditched and replaced with contact lenses that enhanced the green in his eyes. I was surprised that even after my awkward displays that made it very clear I had no experience in the area of love and affection, he still came around. It was extremely obvious through our conversations that there was experience accumulated behind those green eyes.
The afternoon was pleasantly warm and my brother Stephen had kicked Bart and I outside since mom was shopping and dad had been at work. We sat on the front step joking about how I would be accosted for not doing anything. Then he placed his hand on my cheek and pulled me close. He never asked and I didn’t expect it to happen then but it did. The warmth of his lips pressed up against mine. He moved slow trying not to scare me and tasted like a fruit flavored tick tack. 
Nothing would have prepared me for what happened next and I pulled away scared. I was no longer Scarlet O’Hara in the mist of a passionate kiss. I was a anxious teenage girl freaking out because I felt his tongue slipping in my mouth. My face was flushed and warm as I quickly jerked away. Bart laughed about it and tried to make me feel better about my first kiss but it was a little too much for me to stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment