Sunday, September 26, 2010

Knock And The Door Shall Be Opened

I was once told the story of Mahatma Gandhi who seriously considered joining the Christian Church at one point in his life. He like the idea of having only one God to answer too instead of many, so he went to church one morning in hopes of talking to the pastor about it. Unfortunately he was turned away at the door by the Greeter and told to go back to his own people. It still breaks my heart to think of that story, and from the moment I heard it I wanted to make a difference and help to change some of the mistakes of the past by the church.
It was my turn this morning to be greeter during Sunday School. I'm thankful that I will not judge people like that or turn them away. Despite being tired, I was more then happy to welcome them in with a smile, handshake, or even a hug if that is what I thought they needed. A better nights sleep and some practice would help me out a lot but I was happy to help and nobody is getting turned away on my watch. Of course it is still questionable if they have came to harm someone. I would absolutely have to call upon the Lord for help in that matter, but no one will get turned away.
This was my first time as greeter and I got to see things from a different perspective then just sitting in the pew. I got to stand back and watch everyone enjoying themselves. I was able to help if a little one needed to go to the nursery if they started to get upset. I got to see the smiling faces. It was very rewarding.
My sinuses started acting up so I ended up having to leave early. Today is the last day of the car and bike shows and everything is still packed and full of people. I'm glad it only happens once a year. Well, as I got out of my car I was greeted to the distant sound of what appeared to be tribal drums. I don't really know what it was, but that is what it sounded like. After hearing this low hum of thumping if finally realized that I am glad that we have these car shows. I haven't been thankful for them in the longest time since I always have to work, but today I was thankful once again.
I must be getting some rest before work. Please get out today and enjoy what is left of the festivities before it's over and never stop dreaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment