Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Fruit of the Spirit

While preparing my lesson on Joshua and Caleb, I was distracted by a lesson on the Fruit of the Spirit and made me think. I've been in church all my life and never really understood what being touched by the Spirit meant.With me and my wild imagination, I assumed it meant some supper power all thanks to growing up in the 80's. We would go to revival meetings and I would watch as the pastor touched people. When he did this they would start dropping to the ground like flies. Of course there was always someone behind them to catch them when they fell. I thought it ment driving out demons and turning bread into water. Pretty lame thinking I guess.
But as I started reviewing the Fruit of the Spirit, I realized his spirit has been with me all along. The Fruit of the Spirit is really the physical manifestation of a Christian's transformed life. The physical attributes of the Spirit are love, joy, peace, long suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance. Since I have grown up in the church and always loved the Lord, I discovered that I've always had these traits most of my life. Looking back, I also realized when God had been developing those traits in me as well so that I would be able to grow. It was a heartfelt revelation for me realizing that the Spirit has been with me all this time.
Remember the phrase What Would Jesus Do? Well, when you have the Fruit of the Spirit, you will be automatically inclined to do what Jesus did. Remember, We don't always get to see the fruit of our labors, but when the Spirit is present in you God is using you.

All things work out for good for those who love the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment