Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Harpie

In my dream last night, I was a Harpie  named Arie flying through the night sky. The trees are beautiful as I skim the edge of the blurring woods. The moon is full and there is a small pond below filled with fish on their hunt for the various insects flipping and jumping in and out of the water. My mouth starts to water as I swoop down to snag a nice sized trout with my teeth. Quick as lightning, I am able to snag my prey. The water's edge is calm and there are no predators close by so I decide its is safe to eat my meal on the shore. My sharp talons reach out for a nearby branch. I am able to do a complete flip to re-adjust my angle and nearly breaking the branch before landing in a nice grassy patch. Tearing into the flesh of this tender trout, I start to wonder If I am the only one around. I don't recall seeing any other Harpies. Why haven't I seen others like me? Picking a fish bone from my teeth, I quickly decide that its not important. The few humans that I've seen in my time had always acted like a defensive preditor, running away from me and snarling or trying to hurt me with a weapon of some sort. Its somewhat sad because I've never thought of hurting anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment